A healthy back is an important part of your life. When your back is in pain, it can be difficult to do what you love and it may even hurt while trying to rest. There are several methods for treating back pain, but most people prefer noninvasive methods like chiropractic care. Chiropractors use many noninvasive techniques for treating spine and joint pain. If you have chronic back pain, one treatment that may help you is traction therapy.
What is traction therapy?Traction therapy is a method of gently pulling the vertebrae apart with pressure. This is helpful for reducing pain and pressure in conditions where the vertebrae put pressure on the nerves in your spine. There are three forms of traction therapy your chiropractor may use as part of your treatment if you have back pain:
- Manual traction therapy — In this form of traction therapy, chiropractors use their hands to apply gentle pressure to the head or back.
- Mechanical traction therapy — When more force is necessary for treatment, your chiropractor may use weights to provide a controlled amount of pressure to your head or back.
- Computerized traction therapy — Some types of back pain can be treated using computerized traction therapy. This involves the use of a split-traction table controlled by a computer that slowly moves to gently pull apart the vertebrae.
What are the benefits of traction therapy?People with chronic back pain can benefit from traction therapy in several different ways, including:
- More flexibility in back and neck muscles
- Reduced pain in the back and neck
- Improved range of motion
- Improved alignment
- No drugs or medication
- No incisions
Who needs traction therapy?Traction therapy can be helpful for people with conditions that put pressure on the nerves in the spine. It’s primarily used to treat pain caused by herniated discs or degenerative disc disease since these conditions can cause misalignment in the vertebrae. Some people may not be a good fit for traction therapy. Your chiropractor can perform an evaluation to determine if you’re a candidate for this treatment.
Visit Florida Spine and Joint for
If you’re suffering from chronic back pain, you should talk to a chiropractor about traction therapy. Our Doctors of Chiropractic at Florida Spine and Joint perform this procedure in many chiropractic treatments to help reduce pain and improve mobility. Contact us today to talk to one of our team members about traction therapy and to schedule an appointment.